Saturday 25 August 2012

My Mate Marmite

You either hate it or you love it. I'm the later of the two.

It's something that I do most mornings and I've turned it into a blog post.

Marmite on toast.

It's a British favourite and personally, I think they should have had a Marmite parade at the Olympic opening ceremony.

There are many different alternatives to it - most notably for you Australians, Vegemite... but as Sean Connery is to James Bond... Marmite will always be the best.

Last year I spent a month helping out at the school my mum teaches at. Every morning on the journey to school, we would plan our imaginary Marmite cookbook, thinking of every possible recipe. 

So far we have come up with:

Marmite roast potatoes (a family favourite)
Marmite mash potatoes
Marmite & cheese fondue
Marmite scrambled eggs
Marmite crumpets
Marmite and cheese spread sandwiches (reliving my childhood packed lunch box)
Marmite on Ryvita (something I lived off at university)

I will have to post recipes for these one day!

When it comes to proportions, I don't like to use too much of it. My mum likes to slather her toast in the stuff -  whereas I like a tiny bit with plenty of butter.

I couldn't imagine a world without Marmite - what would I have for breakfast? What magnets would I have stuck to the fridge as a child? What would I have in my sandwiches?!

Thankfully, I have a large jar stashed in the cupboard. My marvellous, mouthwatering mate Marmite.




No comments:

Post a Comment